But believe it or not I (sort of) even managed to get Ruby 1.8.6 built and (sort of) running on an old 2.6 and 2.8 box today. It nearly killed the 2.6 box (an Ultra-5) but here's how I did it:
- Make sure you at least have gcc, GNU Make, and a version of of GNU Grep in your path somewhere. You probably need more. The latter were things that I know I tripped up on.
- Rip out most of the directories in ext. All I had left in mine were: enumerator, etc, fcnctl, io, pty, racc, socket, socket, stringio, strscan, syck, thread.
- If you need to use YAML, change the first require in yaml.rb to require 'yaml/stringio'
But be warned, all I ran was a simple hello world app and parsed a YAML file, so it will be interesting to see what works and what sends these boxes to a timely death.